This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #LimpiaTotal #CollectiveBias
Here in Utah, we’ve been having some beautiful, Spring weather. We were able to spend a good chunk of a Saturday outside. We played baseball, basketball, did some kite flying, and played on the playground. The sunshine and fresh air were invigorating and got me excited for Spring and spending more time outside. When we got back home, I was inspired to open the windows and start de-germing our house. I broke out our cleaning supplies, got the family on board and got to work!
We followed three simple steps to clean in layers, Clean. Disinfect. Aromatize. Being inside a lot during the winter means more germs being passed from family member to family member. I came up with these 5 Quick Spring Cleaning Tips to get Rid of the Winter Germs.
1. Wipe down light switches, door knobs, handrails, and drawer pulls. These are things that people touch every day and probably rarely get disinfected. My kids donned their work gloves, grabbed some Clorox Lavender Disinfecting Wipes and got to work. Many hands make for light work, so we were done with this step quickly. Clorox Disinfecting Wipes kill 99.9% of household bacteria which helps keep your family healthy!
2. Disinfect toys, blocks, and other play items. I had my kids round up all their toys and tossed them in a large, plastic bin. Because we have little ones who don’t always keep toys out of their mouths, I used one tablespoon of Clorox Liquid Bleach per gallon of water and let the toys soak for 5-10 minutes. Drain the toys, let them dry, and they’re ready for the next play session. Clorox Liquid Bleach is perfect for disinfecting because it kills 99.9% of household germs.
3. Clean or replace sponges, mop heads, and other cleaning items. Sponges can harbor lots of gross germs if they are kept around too long. If you want your mop to do it’s job you need to replace it when needed, or if it’s reusable, wash it in hot water and let it air dry properly. I love using Pine-Sol Lavender for mopping, and if my mop is dirty it’s not going to let the clean, fresh lavender scent come through.
4. Change toothbrushes and clean your toothbrush holder. You should be changing your toothbrush on a regular basis, especially after being sick. But a lot of people forget to clean their toothbrush holder regularly, and it can hold a lot of nasty germs!
5. Wipe down electronic items such as phones, keyboards, and remote controls. Once again, these are items that get touched all the time and can get saturated with germs and bacteria that will keep the sickies coming back. Make sure you wipe them down and keep those germs far away from your family.
During our afternoon of Spring cleaning, I noticed that my kids were much more helpful than they normally are when I ask them to help with chores. I realized it was because they were helping with chores that aren’t what they normally do. Now I wasn’t about to let them off the hook from their everyday chores, but I decided to give them a chance to help out with out of the norm chores. I created this fun Chore Board of things that I would love help with. It also has the reward attached, so they are getting something right then and there! For some items there is cash attached, a small treat, or a reward coupon that they can redeem. The kids can check out which extra chores need to be done, get a reward, and I get extra help around the house! This Chore Board was super easy to put together and I’ve included printables for the chores and rewards to help get you started. Now grab a frame, staple gun, baker’s twine or string, and some clothes pins.
Take your frame and baker’s twine and staple lengths to the back of the frame. You can do it in straight lines or you can do what I did and just zig zag it from side to side.
Using the clothes pins, you can attach the chore and it’s corresponding reward to the string and there you have it! Super easy and you probably have almost everything in your home to do it!
Make sure you explain to your kids that in order to reap the reward they have to complete the chore they picked. Everyone will benefit if they follow through with the chores the choose. Also make sure you have any cleaning supplies they need to complete the job available to them. You can get Clorox and Pine-Sol cleaning products at Walmart and be sure to check out the Clorox site for more great tips, tricks, and hacks for cleaning in layers and keeping your home germ free!