With fall around the corner and the weather starting to cool down it has made me crave soup! I’ve been making more soup the past couple of weeks for dinner and this recipe is a family favorite. My kids always ask for seconds when I make this soup. This recipe also makes a lot so we always have leftovers and they are just as good the next day. I whipped up some of these breadsticks here and they were perfect for dipping in the soup. This soup is so rich and creamy and is perfect for those cool fall nights when you just want to curl up and watch a movie and eat some warm yummy soup!
- 2 1/2 lbs. white potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 small white onion (diced)
- 3 oz package of the real bacon bits (found by the salad dressing)
- 1-2 cups sliced carrots (depending on how many carrots you like)
- 4 tsp. chicken granulated bouillon
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 cups of milk
- 4 cups of water
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- toppings for the soup (cheese, green onion, sour cream, bacon bits)
- First you will dice your potatoes and then put them in a pot of water and boil for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Then strain and set the potatoes aside in a large bowl.
- Saute the onion until they are translucent and tender. In a large pot add milk, water, salt and pepper, whipping cream, and chicken broth and chicken bouillon and carrots. (I precooked my carrots before I put them in).Heat until very hot but do not boil.
- Then you will melt the butter in a sauce pan. Once the butter is melted you will add flour and mix well. Allow the mixture to bubble while stirring for one minute. (Flour mixture should be like a paste – you may need to add more butter or flour to get the consistency.)Then add half of the flour mixture to the milk and water mixture. Stir constantly. Keep adding the flour mixture and stir until it starts to thicken. Once thickened add in the potatoes, onion and the bacon bits. I only added half of the bacon bits and saved the rest to put on top of the soup.
- Serve with your favorite toppings we like bacon bits, cheese, green onion, and sour cream. Enjoy!
© The REAL Housewives of Riverton, 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owners is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The REAL Housewives of Riverton with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.