I have to admit, I was pretty excited for Card Swap starting up again. Since we had the last one in early November it seems like forever since we’ve all been together. Because of the break I was excited to do something new. I can’t wait to show you the whole project tomorrow but for now I want to show you part of the “card” I did.
Thanks to Gena helping me figure out that there was a strawberry shaped box on the Spring Cottage cartridge, using my Cricut Cutting machine I was all set for what I wanted to do. I was using the Cricut file in Craft Room so there was very little instruction on how to put the strawberry together. I did a search to see if anyone else had made a post showing how to put it together but I couldn’t find anything. I found a few finished projects but nothing showing how to put the strawberry together, so I decided I would do a tutorial on how I did it. I can’t guarantee that this is the correct way but it’s how I did it and they turned out pretty cute I think.
The first step, of course is to decide on your size and cut it out. I cut mine at about 3.5″ x 5″.
There are wonderful scoring marks (that you can’t see in this picture) that make it very easy to fold the strawberry without having to score it first.
Here it is with the fold made but not yet put together.
There is one section (seen below) that folds to the inside of the box.
You want to put glue (I used hot glue, you can use any type of adhesive but since I was doing 60 of them hot glue was the way for me to go.) on this flap and then fold the box together with that on the inside.
Here is a whole bunch of the ones I did.
Now you need something to tie it up. I’m using this cute bakers twine. This was the part I was most unsure about how to do. I wasn’t sure the best way to run the string through the holes to get the box to close up the best way. I found that running the string from the front to the back and then bringing it to the front of the next “petal” and running it through to the back and keep going all the way around.
Then, gently tighten the string up. I just tied it once to keep it from loosening.
Since I was not filling these but wanted the others in card swap to be able to if they wanted to I closed them up in a way that makes them easy to open again and add little treats.
I forgot to get a picture of the stem before I put it on but it is a cute flower looking piece with 2 holes in it. I ran both ends of the twine through the holes and then tied it into a bow.
I like the way they came together.
I did a whole bunch of them (60!) on a rather small scale. I am excited to make them again in a bigger size, I think they would be fun to put treats in for the kids.
Come back tomorrow to see how I used them for my cards this month!
© The REAL Housewives of Riverton, 2011-2012. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s authors and/or owners is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to The REAL Housewives of Riverton with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.