I am so excited to share this project with you. Last year my cute red-head kept bringing home acorns she would find on her walk home from school. This project started back then.
Isn't it so cute? Lucky for you I'm even going to show you how I made it. This can be a very inexpensive project if you have acorns at your disposal. Thankfully I noticed as soon as they started falling this year and put the little kids to work.
Here's what I started with:
1/2 a bag of Spanish Moss that was given to me (tag said it was .99 for the whole bag so even if you have to buy some it shouldn't be very expensive.)
Old grapevine wreath. Again you can buy one but I had this one that I took apart last year because a couple pieces of what was on it had fallen off.
Acorns...lots and LOTS of acorns. I had my kids collect these over the course of a few weeks just from the ground so they were free. I am not sure if you can buy them or not but I've seen some frames and stuff online so it looks like possibly you can buy some fake ones.
The 1st step was to spread the moss out all over the wreath. This step is optional since the acorns will cover most the wreath. I had it on hand and liked the idea of it being what shows in the little gap of the acorns.
I just put hot glue down in sections on the wreath and pushed the moss down on it. Since the moss is all kind of stuck together you don't have to use a lot of glue to get it stuck down everywhere.
Here is what it looks like with it all pressed down (I will clean up the stringy parts as I put the acorns on).
Start with 1 acorn - put hot glue on the end and push it into your wreath.
Couple things to note. 1. This takes a long time. There really isn't a faster way to do it. 2. Some of the inside parts of the acorn will come out of the little *cap*. I just put a dab of glue on that and just pushed it back into the cap. Keep extra acorns. It is very possible that once you get them all glued on, even if you've checked them some of the acorns will still fall out of the *cap*. I have an extra bag of acorns that I am keeping a hold of just in case it continues to happen. Also Mister Man has warned me to be careful because a squirrel might come and attack my wreath!
It was late when I got done with all the gluing. It wouldn't have been so late if I hadn't run out of glue. Thankfully my neighbor came to my rescue and I was able to finish it up. That is another thing to note, you're gonna use a LOT of glue!
Here's the wreath *naked*, just a whole bunch of acorns.
I added some ribbon (and only got a picture with my cell phone) and knew what direction I wanted to go with dressing it up.
Bright and early Monday morning I hit up Hobby Lobby for more decoration for my wreath. I couldn't figure out for sure what I wanted. I kept walking up and down the isles with big bunches of leaves, flowers, berries, a few pumpkins and even our last name initial "C". I finally found this one little bunch. It was exactly what I wanted without having to get a bunch of extras. It was $4.99 and 40% off.
I had the Harvest sign from when I took the wreath apart the first time and it finished it off exactly how I imagined it.
Enjoy the pictures of my new wreath. I am pretty proud of the end result....now to get a cuter front of my house!
My total cost was $2.99 + the cost of glue sticks.
I figured out as much of the costs I could if you bought everything:
Grapevine wreath - $3.99
Flower/berry set - $4.99
Spanish moss - $2.49
All those prices are the Hobby Lobby online price so you could use a 40% off coupon on any/all of them and right now all their fall floral is 40% off.
I couldn't find a price for acorns and I couldn't find a fall harvest sign like I already had but it would be super simple to just make one with stuff you probably already have on hand.
I hope you like my wreath and I hope if you make one like it you'll share it with us. Also, if you know where I can tell people they can buy acorns that would be awesome too!
Linking up to all these fun parties